TO INFINITY AND BEYOND – THE CREATION OF A BEAUTIFUL TOY STORY INSPIRED BEDROOM

See how Kels turned a blank canvas into a dream bedroom for her young son in their Bloor Thornsett home. 

“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever.”

Walt Disney

.. And for me the place it begins is inside a child’s bedroom. 

Lockdown really highlighted to me the importance of children having their own space.  It shouldn’t just be a place where they lay their heads at night, but somewhere they can go on adventures, that mirrors their personalities, and most importantly, space where they can have fun! 

From a very young age, my little boy has loved Toy Story. Every day he plays with his toys, whether it’s a game, his Lego or the actual characters. He describes in vivid detail what they get up to – he truly believes they are real. Therefore, a Toy Story themed bedroom was the only choice for him.

Luckily, we have been building his Toy Story collection for a long time and he has all the characters from the four movies. I wanted to display them on shelves so he could see them every day and, as he has a mid-sleeper bed, he is able to get them down and play with them whenever he wants. Woody and Buzz have pride of place on his bed, of course! 

We chose white furniture because it helps the characters to stand out and will also grow with him. Toy Story revolves around Buzz and Woody, so white emphasizes their colours perfectly. I used Etsy to find a lot of bespoke pieces, from the Toy Story bricks to the bunting and even the lights. We use Lego bricks and Toy Story boxes I found in Argos for storage and they all match perfectly. 

I filled Ikea picture frames with prints of characters from the movies as well as photos from our trip to Disneyland. The blind and lampshade, with their beautiful bold prints, are bespoke.

When I walk into his bedroom, I feel like I am transported into the movies, and most importantly, my little boy is happy and loves his room. It feels like in this bedroom anything is possible, and he really can travel to infinity and beyond.

To see more from Kels and follow her decorating journey, please search @digs_at_digby on Instagram.